Saturday, June 9, 2012

Swimmng lessons......

Murray wears a harness now during the daytime as he had an adventure that caused great stress on both himself and me.  He slid, with his klutzy self backwards off the dock.  Earlier in the day the boat had been rocked furiously by a wake and I went out to investigate.  A seadoo, naturally.  I had some words with the young man and he apologized, and then proceeded to tow another man who was in the water back to the ramp.   We had errands to run and on the way out, Murray went butt end, right in the water.  "There was no way I could get him out and it appeared he didn't know how to swim as he flapped his paws a lot.  He would disappear around the boat and I raced back aboard trying to find rope or something I could tie to him to effect a rescue.  The men I yelled at were across the channel and came over to help.  Murray swam to one, put his paws on either side of the man's shoulder while the man held onto the dock.  The other leaped off the seadoo, which went its merry way up the channel, and tried to pull Murry out with me helping.  We couldn't do it as it was 80 pounds straight up.  My heart was pounding and the poor dog was frozen in postion.  I finally got his harness on him and we were able to pull him out, whereby Koa gave him a ration of crap for causing trouble.
Then the seach for the seadoo becan, with one guy asking what the wind was and the other swimming off into the channel.  Seadoo found, they headed out on what they called their maden voyage, not having any idea of how relieved and happy Murray and I were.  Koa was still pretty disgusted with him.  What was amazing was the instant trust Murry had for the stranger who nestled him close and how he didn't move, even when I wrestled the harness on him.  It is a picture that will stay wil me for a long time, and a reminder of goofy as dogs are, we are really their minders.
End ties are pretty special and expensive (but not for us) here in the marina - and supposed to be easy to get in and out of when leaving the dock.  We have current (at tide times) and always a westerly wind behind us, and now we have a power boat immediately in front of us.  And Murray, checking out the scene.  This is his harbor, his boat, his dock but damned if he wants to claim the water.

No comments: